Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data - CPU

Hello,

I had issues with data and restoring and I found out now that in the db folder there are a lot of data (esp. Tick) in the folders,even more with forex pairs.

Isn´t it possible to clean up NT and the folders and delete all data prior a selectable date?

And referring data and CPU I want to ask please if NT is more "busy" when adding indicators to a chart when those indicators are already used in script-strategies running on that chart. This question might be important with almost all forex pairs and each fx-pair with 2 scripts running. (or is it not important for CPU usage when the indicators are already in a script, and then added only for visible function in the chart)

Thank you
    Tony

Originally posted by tonynt View Post
    Hello,

I had issues with data and restoring and I found out now that in the db folder there are a lot of data (esp. Tick) in the folders,even more with forex pairs.

Isn´t it possible to clean up NT and the folders and delete all data prior a selectable date?

And referring data and CPU I want to ask please if NT is more "busy" when adding indicators to a chart when those indicators are already used in script-strategies running on that chart. This question might be important with almost all forex pairs and each fx-pair with 2 scripts running. (or is it not important for CPU usage when the indicators are already in a script, and then added only for visible function in the chart)

Thank you
    Tony
    Historical data is stored in the "tick", "minute", and "day" folders within the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > "db" folder.

First, keep in mind that NinjaTrader must be shutdown before making modifications to any of its files and folders.

It is not necessarily recommended to delete this data as preventative maintenance, however, you are correct in that deleting these folders will remove all locally stored historical data. This can potentially free up significant space. When you reconnect to your provider, historical data will be downloaded from your provider.

Adding indicators will always use additional PC resources.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your reply.

My PC is: 64Bit, x64 Intel Core i/-3770 CPU 3,40 GHz, 20 GB Ram, Win10

When connected to continuum and fxcm the taskmanager shows (at 5:20 PM EST with very low volume)

CPU: from 0,7% to 2,3%
      Ram: from 823,9 MB to 1,010,9 MB

Will this work OK?

Thanks
      Tony
      Last edited by tonynt; 08-15-2016, 03:28 PM. Reason: correction numbers

Comment

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your reply.

My PC is: 64Bit, x64 Intel Core i/-3770 CPU 3,40 GHz, 20 GB Ram, Win10

When connected to continuum and fxcm the taskmanager shows (at 5:20 PM EST with very low volume)

CPU: between 0,7% amd 2,3%
        Ram: 823,9 MB

Will this work OK?

Thanks
        Tony
        This exceeds the minimum requirements by a large margin. Your PC should run NinjaTrader very well. Here is a link with more information:

Comment

Thank you for the link. I know and this depends from the number of charts and indicators (as you replied additional indicators will use additional CPU ressources)

With my question I do refer to the values that are shown in the task-manager for NinjaTrader with 2,3% CPU and 1,026.6 MB. In a webinar I heard a recommended or maximum value for RAM used by NinjaTrader very lower than my 1,026,6 MB.

Regardless of number of instruments, charts and indicators, is 2,3% CPU and 1,026.6 MB RAM used by NinjaTrader too much (in general, or my PC ressources I posted)?

Because I often have a red backcolored X in a chart and the control center and "no reply from program" (translation by me) for few seconds.

Thanks
          Tony
          Last edited by tonynt; 08-15-2016, 03:37 PM. Reason: Translation error

Comment

Thank you for the link. I know and this depends from the number of charts and indicators (as you replied additional indicators will use additional CPU ressources)

With my question I do refer to the values that are shown in the task-manager for NinjaTrader with 2,3% CPU and 1,026.6 MB. In a webinar I heard a recommended or maximum value for RAM used by NinjaTrader very lower than my 1,026,6 MB.

Regardless of number of instruments, charts and indicators, is 2,3% CPU and 1,026.6 MB RAM used by NinjaTrader too much (in general, or my PC ressources I posted)?

Because I often have a red backcolored X in a chart and the control center and "no reply from program" (translation by me) for few seconds.

Thanks
            Tony
            The RAM usage seems quite high. This is most likely due to the amount of windows you have open and the indicators on your charts.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over performance tips.

The red X on your chart typically indicates a corruption with indicators on your chart.

As a test, please take the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your saved workspace. You will have the option to reopen these after our tests.
            • Shut down NinjaTrader
            • Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces
            • Delete the file named "_Workspaces.XML". DO NOT delete the 'workspaces' folder - only delete the '_Workspaces.XML' file within the 'workspaces' folder
            • After deleting this file, restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.
            • Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issues.

*Please note this will not delete your workspace however the new blank workspace will be named Untitled1. If you have a workspace already named Untitled1 however you will not want to save the workspace when exiting NinjaTrader, otherwise it will overwrite it.
            If there are no issues on this new workspace, please try opening the previous workspace by going to File--> Workspaces--> Open workspace.

If this reintroduces issues, I would suggest rebuilding your workspace, adding 1 indicator at a time. Please keep track of what indicators you add back in so that we can narrow down what indicator is causing the issue if the issue returns. I also suggest making a backup of your workspace so we can restore a backup if the issue returns.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over backing up and restoring.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by aussugardefender, Today, 01:07 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post aussugardefender  
            Started by pvincent, 06-23-2022, 12:53 PM
            14 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Nyman