Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What is the Correct Procedure to Update NinjaTrader 8 to a newer version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Correct Procedure to Update NinjaTrader 8 to a newer version?

Hi there,

What is the correct procedure to update NinjaTrader to a newer version?

I update it to a new version every time one comes out, by installing the new MSI, and every time when I attempt to start it after installing the new MSI, it crashes at loading custom assemblies. The only way I can fix it is to delete the NinjaTrader.Custom.dll and then it will start and I can go into the NinjaScript editor and recompile and from then on I am good to go.

If this is required, why doesn't the MSI just delete NinjaTrader.Custom.dll and recompile as part of the update process?

Should I be uninstalling the existing version before I update?

Regards,

codeOwl

Hello codeOwl,

To update NinjaTrader
    • Shutdown all programs including NinjaTrader *important
    • Download NinjaTrader from the public link below
      Click here to download NinjaTrader
    • Double click the downloaded file to execute it
    • Follow the on screen instructions
    • Restart NinjaTrader

The MSI indicator is not one created by NinjaTrader and this is likely from a 3rd party. I would not be able to answer questions about software made by a 3rd party and I would encourage you to report the behavior to the vendor that creates that software.

If you are able to reproduce the behavior without using the 3rd party addons we can look further into this.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Restarting the PC before installing the new NT version solves problems that I've seen when upgrading NT without a restart.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
        Hello codeOwl,

To update NinjaTrader
        • Shutdown all programs including NinjaTrader *important
        • Download NinjaTrader from the public link below
          Click here to download NinjaTrader
        • Double click the downloaded file to execute it
        • Follow the on screen instructions
        • Restart NinjaTrader

The MSI indicator is not one created by NinjaTrader and this is likely from a 3rd party. I would not be able to answer questions about software made by a 3rd party and I would encourage you to report the behavior to the vendor that creates that software.

If you are able to reproduce the behavior without using the 3rd party addons we can look further into this.
        Chelsea B,

Thanks for the response mate. I use the exact steps you outline every time. I never mentioned and "MSI indicator". I can do some testing removing all 3 party add ons etc next time I update. This of course is a pain, as I have them all configured as I want. I guess I wanted to know should I be uninstalling before installing the new one. But you have not mentioned that in your steps so I will assume this doesn't need to be done.

Lancer,

Thanks for the response mate. I will try restarting PC, but this also is a pain. I prob only restart once every couple of months and only when I have to. I normally have multiple chrome instances open with a heap of tabs I am currently researching etc... but I will see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Hello codeowl,

Are there compile errors?

Below is a link to a forum post with steps to compile a script and check for errors.
          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ChelseaB,

Thanks for the follow up. I get no compile time errors after deleting the NinjaTrader.Custom.dll and then starting NT and recompiling. I don't remove any of the third party dlls or code, just delete the NinjaTrader.Custom.dll and then start and recompile and everything is fine.
            I am the developer of most of the third party components I have loaded in NinjaTrader. As I get no compile errors, and everything runs fine after deleting NinjaTrader.Custom.dll and recompiling, I don't see there is a problem in my code. This only happens when I update Ninja Trader to a newer version by installing the new MSI, but it happens every time, which is why I thought maybe I should be uninstalling prior to installing the new version, or there was something else I should be doing.

Regards,

codeOwl

Comment

Hello codeowl,

It would only be necessary to close NinjaTrader and run the update.

We do offer installers for previous versions. I may suggest creating a new clean environment of version 8.0.18.1, importing the indicator, and then updating to Release 19 to reproduce the behavior. I would then suggest trying to reduce the code of the script so it only has enough code to reproduce the issue. If we can take similar steps to reproduce with a reduced script, we could look into the behavior further on our end.

Prior versions of NinjaTrader can be downloaded here: https://ninjatrader.com/bin/BPRD.php

NOTE: If you are downgrading, there can possibly be database issues where the NinjaTrader database file will need to be deleted (Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\NinjaTrader.sdf) We would recommend performing these tests on a separate PC so the tests do not put your existing platform at risk for any potential issues that may arise.

Clean environment test:

Creating a clean environment can be done by following the steps below:
              1. Close NinjaTrader 8, and rename the "NinjaTrader 8" folder in My Documents to something like: "NinjaTrader 8 OLD"
              2. Uninstall NinjaTrader from the Windows Control Panel. Ensure that the C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader\ folder is also removed.
              3. Reinstall using the installer from http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
              4. Import your script and update the platform to reproduce the issue. If the issue can be reproduced, please reduce the script to a simple context that reproduces this behavior.
              If you ever need to switch back to your original platform, you may do so by closing NinjaTrader and swapping the platform folder names.

For example, Close NinjaTrader and rename the new "NinjaTrader 8" folder to "NinjaTrader 8 NEW" and the "NinjaTrader 8 OLD" folder to "NinjaTrader 8." Then restart the platform. Simply put: NinjaTrader 8 will always load the "NinjaTrader 8" folder in My Documents.

We look forward to being of further assistance.
              JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the follow up and extra details, much appreciated. I will give this a shot when I get some time.

Regards,

codeowl

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post mattbsea  
                Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                6 responses