Regarding the connection to FXCM through NinjaTrader 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the connection to FXCM through NinjaTrader 8

I have 4 issues with regards to the subject.

The disclaimer at the bottom of the FXCM connection guide (https://ninjatrader.com/ConnectionGu...nnection-Guide) states there a few problems with the FXCM connection through NinjaTrader 8. The ones I am most interested are the following:

1. Connection losses to FXCM are only reported approximately 1m30s after the fact from the API. It is possible to already be disconnected from FXCM and not have NinjaTrader be aware of this.
    2. For any order submitted during a prior trading session, if it was filled or cancelled before connecting or during a connection loss on the current session NinjaTrader will be unable to determine the order state. As a result NinjaTrader will set this order to a state of “Unknown” in the event that it was filled or cancelled prior to reconnect. It is your responsibility to call your broker to determine the true state of this order.
    3. Duplicate executions may appear in NinjaTrader if an open position is older than 3 days ago.

Are the above issues still present?

Issue #2, especially, is a total showstopper for me. I will not necessarily have my platform running while waiting to be triggered into trades. Given the fact that that my strategy could keep me in a trade for one or two days (sometimes even more), during which time I will certainly shutdown the NinjaTrader 8 platform, I understand that I would have to call my broker every day in order to find out the status of my position.

4. I have found on the NT support forum a few instances where users have had problems with OCO orders sent to FXCM (orders not canceled when they should have been etc.). Is NinjaTrader 8 capable of handling server-side OCO orders sent to FXCM? This is another crucial aspect for me.

I am not sure that testing with a demo FXCM account would be relevant at all, since some of the operations might be only simulated. I do not know.
    This is the reason I am asking this here. Before opening any account, I want to know whether the connection is reliable. Otherwise, unfortunately, I will have to quit using NinjaTrader.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, items in the disclaimer are active limitations/important notes for that particular connection technology.

This answer may be slightly different depending on what exactly it is that you mean by 'strategy', but ATM strategies and automated NinjaScript strategies cannot function if NinjaTrader is shut down or disconnected.

Correct - nothing can perfectly simulate live trading other than live trading.

Comment

When saying "strategy", I was referring to my actual style of trading: spotting a setup, submitting an entry order, stop loss order and target order, and not necessarily keeping the platform running after this. The entry could be triggered even the following day, maybe later. So taking a longer term approach, not strictly day-trading. That is why I was interested in the platform behavior with regards to the issues contained within the disclaimer.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
      7 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post loganjarosz123  
      Started by Belfortbucks, Today, 09:29 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Belfortbucks