Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Update prices on a chart after I have manually loaded fresh prices via CSV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update prices on a chart after I have manually loaded fresh prices via CSV?

The "Reload Historical Data" context menu option is disabled.

Currently I Close & reopen the Workspace AFTER loading csv prices. That successfully updates all prices in workspace.

Hello rhubear,

Thank you for your post.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
    • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.? or 8.0.?.?)
    • Who are you connected to? This is displayed in green on the lower-left corner of the Control Center window.
    • Who is your broker?
    • What instrument symbol (and expiry if applicable) have you selected? For example, ES 12-20, AAPL, EURUSD, etc. You mentioned CSV - is this an instrument that you had to manually add to the platform?
    • (For a chart) what interval is selected? For example, 5 minute, 1 day, 2000 volume, 4 Renko, etc.
    • Do you receive an error on the screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?

If possible, please provide a screenshot of your chart so I may better understand your situation.

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Click here for detailed instruction

I look forward to your reply.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Emily View Post
      Hello rhubear,

Thank you for your post.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
      • What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.? or 8.0.?.?)

8.0.21.1 64-bit
      • Who are you connected to? This is displayed in green on the lower-left corner of the Control Center window.

I don't use a Price data connection (apart from the free OED Kinetick for forex - which is not where my problem lies)
      • Who is your broker?

Not trading with a broker, trading with crypto exchanges, so trading is done on the crypto websites. I don't therefore use NT for trading, just charting.
      • What instrument symbol (and expiry if applicable) have you selected? For example, ES 12-20, AAPL, EURUSD, etc. You mentioned CSV - is this an instrument that you had to manually add to the platform?

Mostly crypto pairs, each manually configured in Master Instruments. I do chart a few forex pairs, but no pricing problems there because a proper data course is used.
      • (For a chart) what interval is selected? For example, 5 minute, 1 day, 2000 volume, 4 Renko, etc.

I use 60 min, 1 Day, 1 Week mostly.
      • Do you receive an error on the screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?

No errors because I don't usually have Kinetick live. Occasionally when I connect to Kinetick, I may have errors for instruments defined as "stock". I just ignore those errors.

If possible, please provide a screenshot of your chart so I may better understand your situation.

I can easily include a screenshot if you want, but apart from a greyed out "Reload Historical Data" menu item, there is nothing to see.

95% of what I do is using CSV imported data from Crypto exchanges.

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Click here for detailed instruction

I look forward to your reply.
      PS: Before I typed this AFTER "quoting" your text, I got that error mesage. Your system doesn't seem to understand replying INSIDE the quote??

PPS: I do have a full life-time license for NT. I'm just not using it for traditional instruments right now.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by rhubear; 11-12-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Hello rhubear,

Thank you for your reply.

I see the attached message - this is because when you use the quote feature, the website coding formats the text for what my original post said, and it expects a reply to be typed outside of the quote box after it says "[/QUOTE]"

I would like to mention that you're using an older version of NinjaTrader 8. To update NinjaTrader, please follow the steps below:
        • First, copy your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
        • Click on the link: https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
        • Enter your license key and press Submit
        • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
        • Select 'Download'
        • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.

To address your initial concern, the reload historical data function only works when you are connected to a data provider that offers historical data. It appears that this is where your problem lies because you mentioned that you are not connected. For additional information on the "Reload Historical Data" function, please refer to our help guide section here:

We also have a list of data providers that shows which providers support historical data here:

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask them here.

Comment

OK, whats the easier way to work around this limitation of having to be connected to a Data Provider?

Am I already using the best method of reloading the Workspace? Is there a better method of "forcing" a local historical data re-read?

Will update my NT anyway....

Comment

Hello rhubear,

Thank you for your reply.

The NinjaTrader platform loads whatever data it can from the memory or cache, and then it would make a request to a data provider to fill in any gaps. This is outlined at the following link:

Each time you manually load fresh prices and import the CSV, I imagine you will need to at least need to close and reopen your windows to update the prices. This is because the memory and cache have been updated by the import, but the platform does not have a provider to send a request to for any missing data. The best way to update multiple windows and price points would most likely be by closing and reopening your workspace, as you have been doing.

Please feel free to reach out with any future NinjaTrader inquiries that we may assist you with.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know whether there is a NinjaScript way of forcing a chart or a workspace to reread the cached local Historical Data? (without being connected to a Data Provider).

Tnx.

Comment

Hello rhubear,

That is a great question.

I have consulted with a member of the NinjaScript team who confirmed that there is not a way to programmatically force a chart or workspace to reload the local historical data.

I appreciate your patience. Thank you for using NinjaTrader.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                16 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Leafcutter  
                Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                2 responses
                0 likes