Binding Forex Instruments to a specific broker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding Forex Instruments to a specific broker

I use CityIndex as my Broker for CFDs and I use FXCM as my broker for Forex. (The spreads are a lot tighter on FXCM for Forex)

The problem I have is that when I have both CityIndex and FXCM connected at the same time in Ninjatrader, the platform always presents me with the bid/ask from CityIndex; Even with my FXCM account selected in the account selector on the chart.

I tried editing the Instrument Settings for GBPUSD to remove the mapping for CityIndex (Forex.com). However, this caused an error in the logging console.

I would be grateful if you could advise me on how I can have Forex pairs bound to a specific broker, in this case, FXCM. It seems the only way I can get FXCM Forex prices is by making sure CityIndex isn't connected.

Many thanks.

Kevin

By default, NinjaTrader will attempt to get real-time and historical data from the first connected data provider for the instrument type for which you are attempting to receive data. You cannot bind specific instruments to a particular connection, however, you can configure a preferred connection per asset class (i.e. forex and CFDs could come from different providers).

Visit the help guide link below to learn more about how to configure preferred connections:

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response Patrick, the preferred connection per asset class was exactly what I needed.

Comment

Hi Patrick, thanks for your assistance yesterday on my Forex/CFD using the wrong accounts. I've set FXCM as my prefered Data Source for the Forex Asset Class as you suggested and I am now able to trade Forex with them and CFDs with CityIndex.

The only problem is the "USOIL" CFD from FXCM gives much better spreads than the "USCRUDEOIL" CFD from CityIndex. So in the case of Oil trading I'd prefer to use FXCM. However even though the USOIL CFD is an FXCM-only product (There are no mappings specified for Forex.com/CityIndex, it still tries to connect to CityIndex for this CFD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2021-02-23_092116.png
Views:	176
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1143185

This gives an error as it tries to connect to CityIndex even though there is no mapping ID.

Name:	image_2021-02-23_092135.png
Views:	146
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1143186

I have set my preferred data sources set to "None" for CFDs, And as you indicated yesterday; Ninjatrader seems to use the first account that was connected to service the CFD asset classes when the preferred data source is set to none.

Unfortunately this means if I connect FXCM first I'm able to use USOil from FXCM, but none of the CFDs on CityIndex. If I connect CityIndex first I can use all their CFDs but can't use the FXCM-unique USOil CFD.

Is there any way to get around this, perhaps by creating a new instrument for USOil that's marked as Forex asset class so it uses FXCM?

Many thanks for your continued support

Comment

All of the data source experiences you've detailed are expected behavior for how multiple data feeds function. More detail can be found on the root page of the link I provided earlier.

You could try configuring a custom forex instrument that in reality is the USOil CFD, however, this is untested on our end. Here are some basic instructions on creating an instrument:
          • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instruments
          • Click the "add"
          • Enter instrument-specific information and select the appropriate exchange
          • Fill in the relevant symbol mapping for FXCM
          • Press the "OK" button
          Here is the relevant help guide page on instrument creation:Please follow up here with what you discover.

Comment

Thanks for the response Patrick. Unfortunately, trying to add a Forex Instrument gave the following error:

Name:	image_2021-02-23_130906.png
Views:	165
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1143205

I tried Instrument Type "Stock" and set my market data to FXCM for stocks as I don't trade stocks. But the chart showed up blank, but gave no errors or log entries.

Name:	image_2021-02-23_133439.png
Views:	149
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1143206

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
            8 responses
            0 likes