Lagging issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lagging issues

I am having lots of lagging issues with Ninjatrader. At times 4 to 8 seconds and made me lose quite a lot. Can Someone please help me.

Lots of discussions about this issue listed here, and also an essential script to monitor lag. Read those discussions and maybe there is something mentioned that will work for you. Definitely install the ChartLagTime script so you know when charts are lagging. Good luck.

Comment

Hello Saif mahmood,

Thanks for your post.

Lagging symptoms are indicative of your CPU getting overloaded. As a test to confirm the platform is operating as it should without being overloaded, I suggest to close all charts and workspaces and to open a simple chart that does not use templates, custom barstypes or has any indicators added. This chart should update as fast as we expect. If this test workspace is fast and yours is not, your workspace would be overloading your CPU.

Remember that when there is increased volatility, NinjaTrader will have more to calculate and lagging symptoms can be more common if the CPU gets overloaded with too much work.

Configuring Efficient Workspaces

The impact NinjaTrader has on your PC will be dependent on how much NinjaTrader has to calculate. For example, having several charts with multiple complex indicators running can cause NinjaTrader to stutter and can cause short freezes. We typically advise the following as tips to improve platform performance.
      1. Configure charts so their Days To Load is an absolute minimum, just enough for your indicators to function properly
      2. Configure indicators to use Calculate.OnBarClose when possible as opposed to Calculate.OnPriceChange and Calculate.OnEachTick.
      3. Use less charts and less complex indicators
      4. Avoid using Tick Replay.
      Various performance tips can be found here — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ance_tips2.htm

Identifying resource-intensive components with the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor

You may also wish to use the NinjaScript Utilization Monitor (Control Center > New > Output window > Right click > NinjaScript Utilization Monitor) This tool will tell you which components in your workspace are creating the most impact on your system.

After you leave this utility running, the items on the top will be those that are taking the most CPU time. Reducing/eliminating these items will be bring the most performance improvement. Please note that some NinjaScripts, like ChartStyles, require drawing every visible bar with every render pass. Having a ChartStyle at the top of your utilization Monitor would be normal.

I also suggest to use the Windows Task Manager to view other programs that are using your CPU, and to close resource-intensive programs that are taking juice away that NinjaTrader would otherwise be using.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
      Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Brandon,

It's definitely is not the CPU or memory of my PC. When it lags, the CPU consumption is only 30%, Memory usage is 38%. And there is only Ninjatrader 8 and IB running. Nothing else.

Comment

adl_ng, read forward from this post here for NT Support's explanation of why charts lag before computer hardware resources are anywhere near 100% utilization.

Comment

Hello adl_ng,

Thanks for your note.

Lancer is correct. That forum link goes into further detail explaining how NinjaTrader utilizes computer resources.

NinjaTrader has multiple threads for different tasks. To keep things simple, there are UI threads, there are Instrument threads, and there are thread pools.

You very rarely will see 100% utilization on the an individual thread when lagging symptoms arise.

You could close all open workspaces and open a new blank workspace to perform the blank workspace test, This will allow you to see the platform operating at full speed, and then to identify which additions are making the most impact. This is best tested when you see the symptoms, i.e. when there is greater volatility, otherwise you may not be able to notice the impact that arises.

If you are looking at Task Manager, look at all logical processes, and keep in mind that you will not see 100% utilization on a single thread.

Let me know if I may assist further.
            Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by poplagelu, Today, 05:00 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post poplagelu  
            Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
            5 responses