Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What PC requirements are good for my workspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What PC requirements are good for my workspace?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new desktop/laptop. I saw the Ninjatrader Support guide as well (https://ninjatrader.com/NinjaTrader-8-InstallationGuide), but wanted to know if it's the same for my current workspace.

1 CL window with 4 tabs; weekly chart, daily chart, hourly chart, 15m chart || 1 CL window with 2 tabs; 5m chart, and 1 minute chart.

1 ES window with 4 tabs; weekly chart, daily chart, hourly chart, 15m chart || 1 CL window with 2 tabs; 5m chart, and 1 minute chart.

1 GC window with 4 tabs; weekly chart, daily chart, hourly chart, 15m chart || 1 CL window with 2 tabs; 5m chart, and 1 minute chart.

1 6E window with 4 tabs; weekly chart, daily chart, hourly chart, 15m chart || 1 CL window with 2 tabs; 5m chart, and 1 minute chart.

Total that's 8 windows with 26 tabs.

Also using One Note for journaling.

Thanks, and appreciate the help!

My 2 cents . . . Get a CPU with a number of physical cores equal to or greater than the number of instruments in the workspace, and with the highest GHz clock speed you can get. Get at least 32 GB system memory. Get a graphics card with high computational performance (see benchmarks here).

Comment

Get a Ryzen 9 based system. Lot of cores and low power. Any RTX 30xx series card will do.

pcpartpicker will have builds which you can order with compatibility

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
        My 2 cents . . . Get a CPU with a number of physical cores equal to or greater than the number of instruments in the workspace, and with the highest GHz clock speed you can get. Get at least 32 GB system memory. Get a graphics card with high computational performance (see benchmarks here).
        That's interesting, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by aviat72 View Post
          Get a Ryzen 9 based system. Lot of cores and low power. Any RTX 30xx series card will do.

Okay thanks for the input

Comment

Hello HinduMVP,

Thanks for your post.

We would not be able to recommend specific hardware for you to use.

That said, you could find the minimum system requirements and recommended system requirements on the help guide page linked below.

Minimum System Requirements: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...quirements.htm

Let me know if I may assist further.
            Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
              Hello HinduMVP,

Thanks for your post.

We would not be able to recommend specific hardware for you to use.

That said, you could find the minimum system requirements and recommended system requirements on the help guide page linked below.

Minimum System Requirements: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...quirements.htm

Let me know if I may assist further.
              Okay thanks

Comment

Would a Ryzen 7 be sufficient?

I'm looking into buying a new lap-top myself, but I do have a budget. Meaning I'll rather put some more money in my trading account.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post

Would a Ryzen 7 be sufficient?

I'm looking into buying a new lap-top myself, but I do have a budget. Meaning I'll rather put some more money in my trading account.
                  If you are not doing tick charts laptops would be fine. Get a laptop with with good cooling; Ryzen 7 should be ok but do read reviews.

If you are doing a lot of tick charts then a desktop is better since laptops can heat up.

Comment

I just built a new desktop with Intel 12700 CPU, which has the iGPU. I bought a separate GPU, but tried without it first and everything runs so well I'm going to return the GPU and not use one

I only have 1-3 simple tick charts running of a single instrument, so you may need more grunt than me. Lancer's suggestion for that sounds good. I've seen tests that suggest Photoshop benefits very little from going beyond a 3050, that may be relevant if you're on a budget

Low temps and Noctua fans make it effectively silent, much nicer than my old blowhard laptop

Comment

If you are not doing tick charts laptops would be fine. Get a laptop with with good cooling; Ryzen 7 should be ok but do read reviews.

If you are doing a lot of tick charts then a desktop is better since laptops can heat up.

Any specific recommendations?

I only use one volume chart, but it would be nice if I could not be pushing my capacity on that alone.

Maybe I should consider a desktop. I like the convenience of a laptop, but realistically I trade 98 % from my home anyway. So the mobility argument isn't as relevant as it once was.

Thank you.

Comment

#HinduMVP

IMHO & experience FWIW, I would expect you should find any moderate PC spec be able to run your workspace.

To give you some real-life comparisons....

I run similar to yours for 4 US Stock Indices in 1 workspace - 'Minute-based time series' chart window with 15 or 5m loaded, 'second-based' chart window 30 or 10s loaded, and 'tick-based' chart window with whatever is appropriate to the market i.e. lower interval on NQ than ES. Tick charts refresh 100ms.

I have a now relatively old dual processor workstation with lots of cores/threads available, but not the fastest clock speeds.
                        I have my platform live daily through all volatilities and rarely see any reduction in performance at such times (I use Chart Lag Time indicator to show this (in conjunction with Thinkman's 'Dimension 4' pc clock synch).

Before this setup I ran similar on NT7, using only 1 core and much older/slower processor.

IMHO and experience, as you are not running tick-processing-intensive operations such as for example volumetric bars, order-flow, etc. then hardware spec should not be a concern regarding performance. Conversely, if you encounter performance problems they are unlikely to be resolved by hardware if you have one core per instrument. You are more likely encountering limitations of the platform's coding and architecture (more info in the links posted by #Lancer).

Other than when a single pc core can be seen to be operating at its maximum, or other hardware limitation reached such as RAM, or graphics card for chart rendering, (which is seldom the case other than when the use case involves order flow, tick replay etc) much what is responded to by Support as reaching limitations of hardware, 3rd-party indicators etc. is in fact the platform code execution bottlenecking. When this is the case, theoretically a difference in hardware will help and may help avoid that situation occurring. But it is unlikely a workspace will work on one set of hardware and not another of marginally lower spec.

If you were running order flow, volumetric bars, and the like then hardware may make a difference. I don't have experience to offer.

I would be very confident my current workspace would work on my old 4 core 2010-era processor. NT7 could run similar using only 1 core

In case you're considering upgrading hardware to solve a problem you're experiencing with your current setup, my thoughts are to hold off and continue to explore here how you can get a workspace that will meet your needs to work for you unless you have other reasons to upgrade. Unless your hardware is an obvious smoking gun (showing maxing out) I'd look to other ways of resolving as I'd be surprised if you found that route to be a solution to those problems

Hope it helps
                        Last edited by brucerobinson; 08-16-2022, 06:01 AM.

Comment

After some searching and having to make a compromise on price, I think I've settled on the ASUS ROG STRIX G15 G513 laptop:

https://www.netonnet.no/art/data-og-...1024657.10997/
                          • AMD Ryzen 7 6800H
                          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
                          • 16 GB RAM
                          • 1 TB SSD
                          Any comments?

This should be a considerable improvement from my current laptop (which is still running, but exceeding 6 years and no battery left I figure it's time to make an upgrade before something happens).

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post DynamicTest  
                          Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                          4 responses
                          0 likes