Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Indicators disappeared. Much of workspace reset overnight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators disappeared. Much of workspace reset overnight.

Greetings,

I have NO idea what happened, but all my custom/downloaded indicators are no longer in my indicator list. At sign in this morning most of my primary workspace had been reset to factory original as I lost all custom configurations (color, etc.) I don't have any idea what happened, but I need to recover my old settings/indicators as I don't have access to all the indicators at this point. Can you help?

DSF
    Last edited by dallasstarsfan; 08-09-2022, 11:29 AM.

I am getting this error message, but it confuses me as I can confirm all indicators showing in the "Indicator" list are stock NT indicators. The list shows no custom indicators. In addition there are no custom indicators on the charts in my workspace.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dallasstarsfan; 08-09-2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Additional information....My preset orders and ATM strategies are missing as well.

Is there a way to go back to yesterday's configuration? Finally, I do appear to be backed up to the cloud through OneDrive if that is material.

Thanks,

DSF

Comment

Greetings,

I have NO idea what happened, but all my custom/downloaded indicators are no longer in my indicator list. At sign in this morning most of my primary workspace had been reset to factory original as I lost all custom configurations (color, etc.) I don't have any idea what happened, but I need to recover my old settings/indicators as I don't have access to all the indicators at this point. Can you help?

I am getting this error message (see attached file,) but it confuses me as I can confirm all indicators showing in the "Indicator" list are stock NT indicators. The list shows no custom indicators. In addition there are no custom indicators on the charts in my workspace.

Additional information....My preset orders and ATM strategies are missing as well.

Is there a way to go back to 8-8-2022 configuration? Finally, I do appear to be backed up to the cloud through OneDrive if that is material.

DSF
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dallasstarsfan; 08-09-2022, 04:11 PM.

Comment

This information now contained at https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...eset-overnight

Comment

I looked at the restore database option and there are not backups available dated prior to the issue. I'm afraid this isn't an option. What else can I try?
            DSF

Comment

Hello DSF,

To confirm, you have not manually deleted or modified the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\ folder have you?

If NinjaTrader is not able to compile, this may be why 3rd party scripts are not appearing.

Please follow the instructions below to see where the errors are coming from after compiling an indicator in NinjaTrader 8. This will allow you to debug the indicator/strategy or remove it from your PC. If you are wondering why you receive an error when compiling only one indicator, it is because NinjaTrader always compiles all indicators and strategies - not just one. This is done to give you the highest runtime performance possible.
              • Open NinjaTrader
              • From the Control Center click the New menu -> select NinjaScript Editor
              • On the right open a script such the Indicators -> ADL script
              • Right click in the window and select Compile to compile all scripts
              • At the bottom of the window a new section will appear where you can find the error locations.
              • From there you have the option to comment out offending code sections, correct references, remove the complete indicator, or debug it to be able to compile again.
              If you are unsure as to what the error is indicating, please send me a screenshot of the error with the error column fully expanded so that I may read the entire error message.

(Click and drag on the small faint separator between column heads, just to the right of the Error column, to expand that column)

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.
              Click here for instructions

Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
              Click here for detailed instruction

Last, I am including a link to the help guide with further suggestions.
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...jascript_p.htm

You mentioned OneDrive which is notorious for removing and duplicating files as well as locking files and preventing NinjaTrader from making changes which can cause crashes and unexpected behavior.

The help guide installation guide does note:
              "4.Please also take care that your Documents\NinjaTrader folder is excluded from any backup operation (cloudbased like Dropbox / OneDrive, or local), as this can create file access conflicts"
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...tion_guide.htm

See the threads below about OneDrive.
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...07#post1112007
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...66#post1164066
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...84#post1128584

It OneDrive was backing up your files, you can look online at onedrive.live.com to see if they are there. You may be able to download and restore them.

Regarding restoring a backup, you can restore from a backup if you completed one recently. Complete the following steps to restore a Backup Archive:
              1. From within the Control Center window select the Tools menu. Then select the menu Import and the Backup File... menu item
              2. Select the backup archive to restore from the "Restore" file dialog window
              3. Press the "Restore" button
              4. Select the items you wish to restore
              Below I have provided a link to the Backup and Restore section of our help guide:
              https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...p__restore.htm

To help prevent loss, ensure to do backup regularly.

If you have no backup you may be able to restore to an earlier version using the Windows File History, if this is enabled on your computer:
              1. Within Windows open Documents
              2. Right click on the NinjaTrader 8 folder and select Properties
              3. Select the Previous Versions tab
              4. See if you have the ability to restore to an earlier version
                (From a date the workspace was opening correctly)
              If there are no previous versions available, the files cannot be restored.
              Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

I have not manually deleted or modified the NT8 folder...at least I don't believe I have.

I attempted to follow your instructions regarding the ninja script editor. When I right click the indicator folder the only options I have are for "new indicator" or "new folder." I've attached a screen shot showing the indicator folder open, but when I right click and attempt to capture that image it defaults back to the image I sent. I don't believe it is giving me the prompts you suggested in your message.

I have also attached an image From NT8>Properties> Previous Versions showing that no previous versions available. This shows this way under both the C drive and OneDrive.

At this point I am stuck. Does it appear that the backup workspaces and third party indicators are just gone or could they still reside in a different location? Even if I chose to try and rebuild everything from the point the system is preventing me from importing any third party indicators.

Online support from NT has always been great and your suggestions are fine, but is it possible we might be able to resolve this with a screen sharing session? If you have other suggestions I'm happy to try them as well.

It seems like I either have to locate my old workspace and indicators or start fresh, but starting fresh from this point isn't possible as I can't import any indicators at this time.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

GBS
                Attached Files
                Last edited by dallasstarsfan; 08-10-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Hello GBS,

It sounds like the Documents\NinjaTrader 8 folder was deleted or moved.

I wouldn't be able to say if these were moved to another location. You could search the C: drive with Windows File Explorer for NinjaTrader 8, ignoring any folders in C:\Program Files (x86).

With the Indicators folder empty, it looks like all of the system scripts are missing as well (they are compiled in the custom, but the open source files are missing).

Please run the repair from the NinjaTrader installer to replace the system scripts.
                  • Shutdown all programs including NinjaTrader *important
                  • Download NinjaTrader from the public link below
                    Click here to download NinjaTrader
                  • Double click the downloaded file to execute it
                  • Follow the on screen instructions
                  • Restart NinjaTrader

If you are unable to run the repair and would like to schedule a call for assistance, send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com.

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

I ran the repair from the NT installer per your instructions. The first attached image is an error message I received. I think I received this the other day and maybe clicked through it?

Once I rebooted NT I was curious if I would be able to import indicators and I got the same error I got earlier (second image on this note.) It would appear that the repair didn't resolve the major issues and maybe did nothing? In addition, I checked the NT files under the C drive and onedrive and there are still no previous versions available.

Even if OneDrive lost my historic workspaces and indicators I can't start over from here as I can't import indicators as NT is blocking me from doing so. Should I request a screen sharing session at this point or do you have other suggestions?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello dallasstarsfan,

At this point, you should be able to open the NinjaScript Editor, right-click and select Compile.

Do you see any compile errors in the NinjaScript Editor?

With the Windows File History, you would need to turn this on to start getting future snapshots. (It won't be able to go back in time to make previous snapshots though)

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

When I went into the editor I was right clicking the folder that says Indicators, not the main area. Sorry.

I ran it and attached a screen shot of what it said. These are two third party indicators that I have used in the past. I attempted to locate the indicators on my main and sim workspaces and was as the main NT indicator list accessed by right clicking a chart or the indicator icon and I can't see them anywhere. I also know they are not on the C drive or OneDrive.

Does the screenshot afford us a next step?

Thanks,

DSF
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello DSF,

The error means that the dlls files were improperly removed directly from the filesystem and the references cannot locate the files.

To resolve:
                          1. Right-click within the NinjaScript Editor window and select "References".
                          2. Locate and select the reference to the .dll file mentioned in the Error.
                          3. Click "remove" to remove the reference.
                          4. Click "OK" and recompile.
                          Below is a link to a video.
                          This video demonstrates how to resolve the ‘Metadata file not found’ compile error in NinjaTrader 8.

Moving forward, to prevent this error, do not manually remove or add files from the NinjaTrader filesystem.

To remove a third party assembly package:To remove open source indicators:To remove an open source strategy:
                          • Click New -> NinjaScript Editor -> select to expand the Strategies folder
                          • Right-click the strategy by name -> select Remove

To import a NinjaScript into NinjaTrader 8 do the following:
                          1. Download the script to your desktop, keep it in the compressed .zip file.
                          2. From the Control Center window select Tools -> Import -> NinjaScript...
                          3. Click the Desktop icon on the left to navigate to the desktop
                          4. Select the downloaded .zip file -> then click Open
                          5. NinjaTrader will then confirm if the import has been successful.
                          Critical *Note that on any files that say "File already exists on your PC" that start with an "@" symbol are the ones that came preloaded inside of NinjaTrader so you would say "No" so that you do not override those files.

Below is a link to the help guide on importing.
                          https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...-us/import.htm

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks. I followed your instructions and can now import indicators.

Have we given up on being able to retrieve historic workspaces and indicators? If so, I am in rebuild mode.

Thanks,

GBS

Comment

Hello GBS,

If it is not on one drive and you have not previously created backups, then you would be starting over.

I would recommend you make weekly backups once you have setup again. (exclude the historical data, market replay data, and log and trace files to keep the backup small, but include everything else)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Brevo
                              by Brevo

Started by aussugardefender, Today, 01:07 AM
                              0 responses